Zachary and Elizabeth Fisher of New York founded the Fisher House™ Foundation Inc. a nationally recognized not-for-profit organization under section 501(c)(3) of the IRS code, with the intention of meeting a humanitarian need for our nation’s hospitalized military personnel, veterans and their families.
84 Fisher Houses are currently in operation located in the United States & Europe.
The Fisher House™ Program
The Fisher House™ program is a unique private-public partnership that supports America’s military in their time of need.
Because members of the military and their families are stationed worldwide and must often travel great distances for specialized medical care, Fisher House™ Foundation donates comfort homes, built on the grounds of major military and VA medical centers. These homes enable family members to be close to a loved one at the most stressful time – during the hospitalization for an unexpected illness, disease, or injury.
There is at least one Fisher House™ at every major military medical center to assist families in need and to ensure that they are provided with the comforts of home in a supportive environment. For more on the Fisher House Foundation, visit www.fisherhouse.org. Visit here for a quick video on the care a comfort home provides.
Annually, the Fisher House™ program serves more than 27,000 families, and have made available nearly 8 million days of lodging to family members since the program originated in 1990. By law, there is no charge for any family to stay at a Fisher House operated by the Department of Veterans Affairs; and Fisher House Foundation uses donations to reimburse the individual Fisher Houses operated by the Army, Navy, and Air Force. No family pays to stay at any Fisher House!
- In addition to constructing new houses, Fisher House™ Foundation continues to support existing Fisher Houses™ and help individual military families in need. The National Fisher House Foundation is also proud to administer and sponsor Scholarships for Military Children, the Hero Miles program, and co-sponsor the Newman’s Own Award.
- Click here for assistance on how to donate your miles
- Find out how YOUR miles help bring families together. See this first hand.
- Download PDF About the Fisher House Foundation.
Albuquerque Fisher House is located on the ground of the Raymond G. Murphy VA Medical Center in Albuquerque New Mexico
- The New Mexico Fisher House will have 16 suites. It will be open for guests twenty-four hours a day and seven days a week.
- The manager will be present at the House from 8am – 4:00pm Monday through Friday and is on call all remaining hours. The patients have the benefit of having loved ones nearby in a safe, comfortable environment.
- There is no fee for staying at the Fisher House, saving families significant costs and more importantly, worry. Guests served at the Friends of New Mexico Fisher House come from all over the United States. Any time a military member or family member is being treated at any local medical facility, they are eligible to use the Fisher House.
- Fundraising efforts are forever on-going; monies raised provide much needed funding to the house to support the operation and the maintenance of the home, and to provide the families with any necessary items needed during their stay.
- Our mission is to keep military families together during times of medical need, providing a support system for healing. We believe a family’s love is the best medicine. Guest experiences at Fisher Houses around the country say it best.