HOW TO STAY
- The Albuquerque Fisher House is “a home away from home,” providing a comfortable, safe environment where families can come together to provide support to one another. The Albuquerque Fisher House is located on the Parade Grounds of the Raymond G. Murphy VA Medical Center and is available to families who meet eligibility criteria while they support a Veteran/Active Duty Inpatient receiving medical care at Raymond G Murphy VA Medical Center.
- The New Mexico Fisher House provides temporary accommodations to families and Caregivers of hospitalized Veterans or Active Duty Servicemembers. Families must meet the following eligibility requirements:
- 50: 50 mile/2-hour commute to the VA Medical Center
- F: Family member/caregiver of Veteran inpatient
- A: Actively engaged in the hospitalized Veteran/Service member’s treatment
- M: Medically stable and capable of self-care (or be accompanied by a caregiver); the Fisher House is not a clinical setting.
- I: Independent and able to live in a communal setting
- L: Living in permanent, stable housing (guests cannot be homeless) and can provide proof of residency with physical address (no P.O. boxes).
- I: Is free from communicable diseases (flu, chicken pox, C-diff, etc.)
- A: Abides by the Fisher House Guest Agreement and all house rules.
- Guests cannot call the Fisher House to make a reservation, all referrals must be submitted electronically by a consult from a member of the VA health care team caring for the Veteran. Once the referral is received, Fisher House staff will call the family member to screen them for eligibility. If a room is available, a reservation will be made; if a room is not available, the family will be put on a waitlist and updated by Fisher House staff once a room becomes available.
- There is never a fee for eligible families who receive a reservation. Eligibility to remain at the Fisher House is dependent on the Veteran’s inpatient status. Once a Veteran is discharged from the Medical Center, the family must check out of the Fisher House.
NEW MEXICO FISHER HOUSE PROGRAM ELIGIBILITY
The New Mexico Fisher House provides temporary overnight accommodations to visiting families and Caregivers of hospitalized Veterans or Active Duty Servicemembers; and for Veterans or Active Duty Servicemembers undergoing an extended outpatient episode of care if accompanied by a family member or Caregiver. The New Mexico Fisher House has 16 private suites. Families will share a common kitchen, laundry room, dining room and living room.
In order to receive accommodations in New Mexico Fisher House, an individual must:
- Be actively involved in the care of a Veteran or Active Duty Servicemember hospitalized in a VA or Military Hospital for an episode of care or be hospitalized in a Community hospital in which VA is coordinating or funding the admission.
- Be medically stable and capable of self-care or be accompanied by an individual able to provide the necessary care. VA does not provide nursing or other medical care in NM Fisher House.
- Be required to travel 50 or more miles or at least 2 hours from their home to the VA medical facility. Exceptions to these distance or time provisions may be made based on exceptional circumstances, such as inclement weather, road conditions, or the mode of transportation used.
- Be able to stay in an unsupervised setting.
- Decisions concerning NM Fisher House accommodations are to be made by the VA medical facility’s Fisher House Manager. If space is unavailable, referrals to the Fisher House must be submitted by the health care team to the Fisher House Program Manager for approval. Rooms reservations are based on eligibility and availability. Approvals will be sent electronically so the health care team can follow-up with the Veteran’s family.
- All house guests must abide by the Fisher House Guest Agreement.
- There is never a fee for guests and can stay as long as they need to, as often as needed.
Meet the House Manager
To meet the House Manager and Staff go to this link:
For additional information, contact Christina Ramírez, Program Manager, Albuquerque Fisher House at
505-265-1711, X3180 or by email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Fisher House Pictures on our NMVAHCS Facebook Site: https://www.facebook.com/VANewMexico/
DRIVING DIRECTIONS FROM I-25
Go South on I-25 and take the Gibson Boulevard East Exit 222A. Go east on Gibson toward the mountains. At San Mateo turn right, the New Mexico Fisher House is on your right.