FISHER HOUSE FOUNDATION
recognized not-for-profit organization under section 501(c)(3) of the IRS code, with the intention of meeting a humanitarian need for our nation’s hospitalized military personnel, veterans and their families.
The Fisher House™ Program.
The Fisher House™ program is a unique private-public partnership that supports America’s military in their time of need.
- Because members of the military and their families are stationed worldwide and must often travel great distances for specialized medical care, Fisher House™ Foundation donates comfort homes, built on the grounds of major military and VA medical centers. These homes enable family members to be close to a loved one at the most stressful time – during the hospitalization for an unexpected illness, disease, or injury.
- There is at least one Fisher House™ at every major military medical center to assist families in need and to ensure that they are provided with the comforts of home in a supportive environment. For more on the Fisher House Foundation, visit www.fisherhouse.org. Visit here for a quick video on the care a comfort home provides.
- The New Mexico Fisher House is located at the Raymond G. Murphy VA Medical Center in Albuquerque, New Mexico.
- Annually, the Fisher House™ program serves more than 27,000 families, and have made available nearly 8 million days of lodging to family members since the program originated in 1990. By law, there is no charge for any family to stay at a Fisher House operated by the Department of Veterans Affairs; and Fisher House Foundation uses donations to reimburse the individual Fisher Houses operated by the Army, Navy, and Air Force. No family pays to stay at any Fisher House!
- In addition to constructing new houses, Fisher House™ Foundation continues to support existing Fisher Houses™ and help individual military families in need. Families and friends of patients at any of the military’s hospitals can now receive up-to-the-minute reports on a loved one by going to the patient’s own customized web page, thanks to new services provided through CaringBridge. The National Fisher House Foundation is also proud to administer and sponsor Scholarships for Military Children, the Hero Miles program, and co-sponsor the Newman’s Own Award.
- Download PDF About the Fisher House Foundation