ABOUT FRIENDS OF NEW MEXICO FISHER HOUSE
Our mission is to ease the burden on our Veterans and their families during difficult times. Friends of New Mexico Fisher House (FONMFH) is dedicated to financial and emotional support for the New Mexico (ABQ) Fisher House, built by the Fisher House Foundation mission to support America’s military in their time of need. These “homes away from home” enable family members to be close to a loved one at the most stressful time during hospitalization for an illness, disease or injury. The program recognizes the special sacrifices of our men and women in uniform and their families.
HELPFUL DOWNLOAD INFORMATION
ABOUT ALBUQUERQUE FISHER HOUSE
The Fisher House provides a “home away from home” for families of Veterans and Active Duty Servicemembers receiving medical care at major military and VA medical centers. The houses are constructed and donated by the Fisher House Foundation. The homes offer free, temporary accommodations to military and Veterans’ families, allowing them to be close to their loved ones during a medical crisis and focus on what’s important: the healing process.
- A Fisher House is a temporary residence for families supporting hospitalized Veteran or Service member. It is NOT a treatment facility, or counseling center.
- There are 86 Fisher Houses, as of April 2020, located in the US, Germany and UK. The NM (ABQ( Fisher House is the 85th Fisher House constructed and donated to a VA /Military Installation by the Fisher House Foundation.
- The Albuquerque Fisher House is located on the Parade Grounds of the Raymond G. Murphy V Medical Center near the Gibson and San Mateo gate in Albuquerque, NM. It is a “home away from home” so that our military families can be together during treatment for serious illness or physical/occupational therapy. The House is within steps of the Veterans Hospital.
- The New Mexico Fisher House has 16 suites. Families share a common kitchen, laundry room, dining room, and living room. Each Veteran’s family has one room to share, with a max of four people allowed in some of the rooms.
- Patients at the New Mexico Medical Center have the benefit of having loved ones within walking distance of them in a safe, comfortable environment. Veterans can focus on healing and treatment and families can focus on supporting their loved one.
- There is no fee for staying at the Fisher House, saving families significant costs and more importantly, worry. Guests served at the New Mexico Fisher House come from all over the United States. In just four months of operation, the Albuquerque Fisher House has served families from 11 states throughout the country.
A walk down memory lane of our groundbreaking on November 9, 2018
At the Raymond G. Murphy VA Medical Center, Albuquerque, shovels were ready for the groundbreaking ceremony for the New Mexico Fisher House on November 9, 2018.
Operation Wounded Warriors and the American Legion Riders opened the ceremony with a solemn motorcycle parade.
The shovelers gathered to start the groundbreaking ceremony.
The actual construction of the NM (ABQ) Fisher House started on January 15, 2019.